Tuesday, June 9, 2009

david lebovitz's strawberry frozen yogurt

I bought an ice cream maker last June, and spent much of last summer making ice cream from the recipe booklet that accompanied the machine. I even made up some recipes of my own. And I was pretty content to leave it at that. There was one ice cream cookbook that piqued my interest though -- pastry chef David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop. Every time I saw it at my local bookstore, I would look through it longingly but decided I would wait to buy it this summer. Since I am now on a cookbook acquisition moratorium, that purchase will have to wait. Thankfully, David's recipe for Strawberry Frozen Yogurt is posted on his blog so I don't have to miss out. The recipe is so simple. First you cut up strawberries, add sugar and let sit for a couple of hours.

Then the strawberries go into the blender with yogurt, a smidge of lemon juice and a dribble of vodka or kirsch (if you wish). Pulse until almost smooth.

Then pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and whirl away until frozen. It takes about 20 to 25 minutes in mine.

Put it in the freezer to freeze until hard. It's really yummy stuff -- so bright and fresh tasting. And I love the simplicity of the ingredients. I just can't wait for summer weather to come to New England so we can really enjoy it in earnest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home