Friday, March 6, 2009

wilton and the devil

The devil's food cake, that is.

Last night was the last class of my Wilton Course 1 cake decorating class. Above is my "graduation" cake -- doesn't it look great? It's straight out of the book, but I am so amazed that I was able to execute it at all. Cake decorating is not at all within my comfort zone. Thanks to the amazing Evelyn for her encouragement.

For those of you who don't care about what a cake looks like, just how it tastes -- underneath all that Wilton Class [Not Butter] Buttercream is King Arthur Flour's Devil's Food Cake (FYI -- in our house, if it's white icing, then there's always chocolate under it). The recipe said to bake the cake in two 9" rounds or three 8" rounds. I only had one 9" inch available, and just two 8" so I opted to bake two 8" rounds. Good thing too, because they didn't end up being very high at all. I can't imagine how thin the 9" would've ended up. The cake appeared to be very moist as I frosted it, but I can't say for certain since we haven't cut into it yet. I told everyone I needed 24 hours to admire my (intact) cake first!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home