Tuesday, March 24, 2009

100% whole wheat sandwich bread

We are solidly a whole wheat bread family when it comes to store-bought breads. I freely admit that white bread makes the best toast and grilled cheeses so occasionally we will get Scali Bread for a treat, but I really prefer to stick to whole wheat for our daily bread. But when it comes to homemade bread, I've always been somewhat reluctant to bake whole wheat bread -- whole wheat always conjures up images of dense, leaden, inedible bread to me. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way or else why were whole grain breads given a bad rap for such a long time.

Yesterday I baked a 100% whole wheat (yes, that's all whole wheat flour -- no white flour at all) sandwich bread which might make me a homemade wheat bread convert. It's moist and light(ish -- it IS whole wheat after all) and the crumb is small and even but not at all dense. Hopefully even C. (my biggest white bread connoisseur) will feel the same way about it. Now if only I can figure out how to make good homemade double fiber bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home