Friday, April 3, 2009

wilton course 2 finale cake

Last night was my last class of Wilton Course 2. Pictured above is my finale cake for the class -- the birds were made from a mixture of confectioners' sugar, water and Wilton Color Flow (essentially powdered egg whites, I'm told). The flowers were made from Royal Icing and were all made in advance and dried. I did the basketweave pattern and the rope borders during class (click on the picture for a larger image). The underlying cake is Cook's Illustrated's Devil's Food Cake, which I've baked once before for P.'s birthday last summer. Big thanks as always to Evelyn for her encouragement and tireless patience.

4 comments:

  1. Very colorful The basket weave must be hard to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was dreading doing it, but it's actually not that bad if you are a methodical person. It can be a bit hypnotic, even meditative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! I bet it was delicious! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It IS good, although all that frosting can be tough to eat. I'm learning that sometimes it's a challenge balancing beauty and taste when it comes to cakes.

    ReplyDelete

Newer Post Older Post Home