Saturday, December 27, 2008

sourdough, here we go! (again)

I'm trying again to make a sourdough starter. Some of you may recall the disasters (thank you, C., for suggesting a word that was much less offensive than my original choice) that were my previous attempts. This time, I am following a modified version of the starter recipe in Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice. So far, so good, although I am more than a week into the starter, but really only on the 4th step. I am told that the winter (or rather the ambient temperature of my frigid house) as well as many other factors can slow down the process, so I'm just soldiering on, one foot in front of the other. So far, no catastrophes (fingers crossed), no mold, nice boozy (yeasty) smell... just not a lot of bubbles. In the meantime, I'll... just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home