Monday, December 8, 2008

chocolate scotcheroos

A lot of people prepare family favorites during the holidays, as a tradition, or even just as a way to connect with loved ones. I don't have much in my holiday baking repetoire that fits that category. Living in Bangkok with my mother, we weren't really in the practice of baking holiday goodies at Christmastime. And when I was with my father in the States, holiday baking was just not one of his traditions.

When I was a teenager, my father was married to a woman who loved all things peanut butter. At holiday time she'd make peanut brittle (and a few different kinds of fudges), but throughout the year she'd make this concoction called Scotcheroos. I actually thought she'd invented it, although I've since learned that it was actually a popular recipe. For potlucks she'd make the complete version of the recipe with the melted chocolate and butterscotch chips on top, but much more often she'd make an everyday version -- just the peanut butter-cereal base -- for a treat, or a snack, or even a pick-me-up after a bad day. Most often she'd make it with Wheaties, and on a really bad day, she'd eat it warm out of the bowl.

I always make my Scotcheroos with the melted chips -- my teenage son demands it -- and I use Rice Krispies rather than Wheaties. I haven't lived with my stepmother in almost 25 years, but every time I make Scotcheroos I always think of her.


Chocolate Scotcheroos

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup white sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup light corn syrup
6 cups Rice Krispies (or Wheaties)

Cook sugar and corn syrup in a large pot until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat and add peanut butter; stir until smooth. Add the cereal and mix until all the cereal is coated. Press into a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Let harden. Melt butterscotch and chocolate chips together over hot water (or melt in microwave in glass bowl). Spread the melted chocolate/butterscotch chips over the cereal mixture. Cut into bars after top is firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home