Monday, June 2, 2008

raspberry white chocolate scones, version 2.0

I wasn't in love with my last attempt at scones so I thought I'd give it another go. I had another scone recipe kicking around in my files and liked the idea of the yogurt instead of the traditional cream. Given the yogurt, I'm not sure how authentic a recipe it is, so maybe they are "scones," rather than scones. These "scones" are moist without being greasy (unlike my previous attempt). The picture above is actually of an ugly one -- it was the first one I ate!

Here is my adaptation:

Raspberry White Chocolate Scones

2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10.63 ounces)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, cold
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt (I used Columbo)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups frozen raspberries, unthawed (I used Cascadian Farms Organic)
1 cup white chocolate chips (I used Nestle... I'm on a budget!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients, using a pastry blender, until it is the size of small peas. Whisk together the milk, yogurt, egg, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl. Add to the dry ingredients, along with the frozen raspberries and the white chocolate chips, mixing just until the dry ingredients are moist; the dough will be soft and the raspberries and chips may not be well-incorporated. Scoop 1/3 cup of dough (using a measuring cup as your guide) for each scone on to your cookie sheet. You will need to use your hands to gently form the scones and make sure the chips and raspberries are making good contact with the scone blob. Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on cookie sheet for 15 minutes before serving.

Makes about 1 dozen scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home