Thursday, January 17, 2013

Bourbon Balls


I made these this holiday season when I found myself with an abundance of bourbon -- not a spirit I would ordinarily choose to imbibe. I thought they'd be a fun, boozy treat for my friends -- drunken cake balls, if you will. Plus, as my friend Allison pointed out, "bourbon balllllllllls" is fun to say.

The recipe posted on Joy of Baking was really simple to make, although dipping the balls in the melted coating chocolate (I used Guittard Dark Chocolate A'Peels because I wasn't in the right frame of mind to temper chocolate) was a little tricky and gave me nasty Johnson and Wales Chocolates and Confections class flashbacks. I drizzled them with melted Ghiradelli White Chocolate Baking Bar, which I thought made them look pretty fancy.

Peeps loved them and couldn't stop popping them -- did I mention my friends like boozy treats? I thought they were delicate and moist and all those good things, but I quickly tired of the bourbon-iness. I think I would prefer rum balls. Maybe next Christmas I will have too much rum on hand and will need to find a way to use it up. I really can't imagine being in that situation but you never know!

2 comments:

  1. I liked them enough to eat one or two, but that was about it. They weren't cake-ey enough for me. (Although the icing was very yummy.) I don't know if rum fixes that, but I'm willing to find out in the name of science!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, *some* people were scarfing them down... perhaps they were being polite, but they seemed to go above and beyond what was necessary!

    ReplyDelete

Newer Post Older Post Home