Saturday, May 2, 2009

zucchini-cranberry muffins

I'm still trying to get through my frozen cranberries from last fall. Who knew it would be so tough? It seems like a lot of recipes call for dried cranberries, and those that don't are of the cranberry-orange flavor pairing. And I've exhausted the cranberry-orange canon.

I found this recipe by way of The Food Librarian's wonderful blog. It's originally from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. I'm not ordinarily a Martha fan. I don't want to go into it; I've never met the woman so it wouldn't be nice for me to expound on my feelings about her in a public setting. But the idea of a cranberry muffin recipe that called for fresh or frozen cranberries and no orange sucked me in. I substituted 2 ounces of unsweetened applesauce for half of the vegetable oil, but I otherwise made it as written. They are lightly sweet and making them without wrappers makes the outsides have a little crunchy chewiness to them -- yum! I felt they could use a little more cinnamon though -- I'll double the amount next time and maybe substitute in a little whole wheat flour, because... I still have more cranberries in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home