Thursday, February 26, 2009

butterscotch chocolate toffee squares

I needed a snack to send for another of L.'s teen gatherings and found half bags of milk chocolate toffee bits and milk chocolate chips in my pantry. A few minutes of trolling the Internet and I came up with this easy recipe from Relish Magazine, which is apparently a food publication carried by some newspapers (not mine). The recipe is actually for Butterscotch Toffee Squares, but I only had about 2/3 cups of toffee bits (it calls for a cup) so I supplemented it with milk chocolate chips.

These bars almost didn't make it to their destination! After I cut them up, I had to sample one (I told myself it was for quality control, but the truth is I'm a sucker for anything butterscotch or toffee) and of course, L., being his mother's son, had to try one too. They were chewy but a little crunchy (we had the edge pieces) and sweet and butterscotchy and just soooooo good. The recipe only makes an 8" x 8" pan so after sampling there were only 14 pieces remaining and it just didn't make sense to send in so little. And they always have too many snacks at those gatherings anyway. Surely they wouldn't miss my little contribution? But cooler heads prevailed -- P. told me to box them up and send them on their way. Sadly, there were no leftovers at the end of the evening for L. to bring home. Now I will have to go out and buy more toffee bits so I can make a pan for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home