Tuesday, April 22, 2008

an update

Had some hits and misses this past week... My Pampered Chef pizza stone (less than 3 months old) shattered in the line of duty a week and a half ago. I was making the Pizza Margherita from Maggie Glezer's Artisan Baking book (which turned out superbly may I add). However, its absence has kind of tied my hands in terms of baking the past several days since I was relying so heavily on my stone. I am thinking that maybe my replacement stone is en route, although who the hell knows. I still have yet to mail the broken one back, an act whose necessity baffles me, since it (a) is shattered and (b) weighs 8 frigging pounds. Can't I just send Pampered Chef a photo or something?
So, I've made the aforementioned (previous post) Dutch Apple Pie -- yummy, and a Lemon Meringue Pie (from King Arthur's Baker's Companion) -- watery, weepy, caustically sweet and fairly unyummy. I made some Whole Wheat bread dough at my Happy Whole Grains class and baked it into bread at home last Saturday. In a quest for non-stone using recipes, I began coming all my books for appropriate recipes, and then I hit another roadblock – I was running dangerously low on yeast. Of course, me being me, this leads to more drama… buying more yeast. Normally I would go to the grocery store and buy more of usual yeast – the 4-ounce jar of Fleischmann’s Rapid Rise for $6.50, but I wanted to try the SAF Instant Yeast (1 pound! Just $5.50!) in the KA catalogue. To anyone else this would be simple enough but it led to weighty decisions regarding shipping prices and the maximizing of value for said shipping prices. You get the picture.
This morning I made (AKA – 2 days ago I started making) the crusty hard rolls from the King Arthur Baking Companion. No stone, and little yeast. Worked great and we’ve been eating them all day. The End (for now).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home